Is psoriasis worse in the winter?
Patients who have been diagnosed with psoriasis know how difficult the condition can be to maintain. In the winter months, many patients are at risk of developing psoriasis flare-ups. However, there are ways for psoriasis patients to reduce the chances of experiencing problems, including ways to combat the drier air during the holiday season. Below are just a few recommendations Dr. Michael C. Margulies may suggest for psoriasis patients to keep the skin healthy and beautiful all year long!
- Maintain moisturized and hydrated skin with the use of prescription strength moisturizers and lotions that can lock in water after showering and bathing.
- Avoid certain skincare products that might be drying to the skin, and select soaps and lotions that are preapproved by your dermatologist.
- Avoid hot showers and consider lukewarm water for showers or baths.
- Utilize a humidifier indoors to keep moisture in the air and avoid drying out the skin.
- Wearing softer layers with skin-friendly fabrics such as cotton to avoid bothering the skin while keeping you warm.
- Drink plenty of water to keep yourself and your skin hydrated. Look for urine that is pale yellow or clear as an indication that you are getting plenty of water throughout the day.
- Ease stress at work and at home, which can trigger a psoriasis flareup. Consider massage therapy, time at the gym, or even just meditation to calm the mind and release stress.
- Talk to your doctor about a change in skincare products. Some patients benefit from switching their normal skin routine during seasonal transitions.
If you struggle with psoriasis flare-ups during the winter months, speaking with the team at Margulies Dermatology can help you develop a skincare regimen that will work at hydrating the skin and avoiding problematic changes. Dr. Michael C. Margulies can find a treatment or product that works for you!
Call Margulies Dermatology today
Miami, FL area patients who are interested in learning more about the treatment of psoriasis all year round are welcome to call (305) 595-0393 to schedule an appointment. We are located at 8940 North Kendall Drive in Suite #704E and accept new patients into our practice for comprehensive care.